Time: 11.00am – 12.30pm
Aim: To develop increased understanding about the use of tube feeding for people with MND and the implications for provision of person-centred care.
- to develop understanding of how people with MND can be supported to make informed, patient centred decisions about gastrostomy placement
- to examine the role of tube feeding in the management of MND and its impact on people living with MND and their caregivers
- to develop an understanding of the enteral feeding methods and tube care
- to consider how the MDT can work together to improve outcomes and patient experience.
By the end of the session participants will have:
- an awareness of how to support people with MND with decision making regarding tube feeding
- an understanding of the role enteral feeding plays in the nutrition support of people with MND
- an understanding of the different feeding methods available and how these can be used to meet patient centred goals
- an appreciation of how the MDT can collaborate to ensure good patient outcomes from the use of tube feeding.
Speaker: Sean White, NIHR Clinical Doctoral research doctoral fellow, Shefield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust