Neuraxpharm launches Tapimio® (tapentadol) prolonged release capsules in the UK
Neuraxpharm announced on June 30th 2022 the launch of Tapimio® (tapentadol) for the management of severe chronic pain in adults, which can be adequately managed only with opioid analgesics. Tapimio® is the first and only prolonged release capsule formulation of tapentadol to be made available in the UK.1,4,5
Tapentadol is a centrally acting analgesic which has a dual mode of action to produce acute and chronic pain relief.6 As Tapimio® is a capsule it can be taken whole or opened and the contents sprinkled on cold, soft food.1 This formulation gives adult patients with chronic severe pain which can be adequately managed only with opioid analgesics and who cannot swallow tablets or prefer capsules an alternative dosage form.
Tapimio® has demonstrated equivalent efficacy and safety to tapentadol medicines which are available in tablet form.2 Tapentadol showed superior quality of life results compared to oxycodone controlled release – a commonly used opioid.7 Tapimio® also confers a minimum cost saving of 15% to the NHS compared to existing Palexia (tapentadol) products available in the UK.3
One in four (26%) UK adults are living with chronic pain, and 24% of those are currently taking opioid painkillers.8
This is the first time tapentadol has been made available in capsule form and we are delighted to finally be bringing it to the UK market. It’s a critical time for the NHS when it comes to saving money, so we’re glad to also be able to offer this cost benefit to the NHS.Craig Bowen, General Manager, Neuraxpharm UK
- Tapimio 150mg prolonged-release capsules. Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/13719/smpc#gref. Accessed: June 2022
- Data on File. Tapentadol Bioavailability REF CSR 021B19-0522 (M).
- BNF. Available from: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/tapentadol.html. Accessed June 2022.
- Ationdo SR 100mg prolonged release tablets. Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/12658/smpc#gref. Accessed: June 2022
- Palexia 50mg film-coated tablets. Summary of Product Characteristics. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5159/smpc#gref. Accessed: June 2022
- Zajączkowska, R., et al. Pharmacol Rep 2018; 70(4), pp.812-820. Available from: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1016/j.pharep.2018.01.005
- Lange, B., et al. Efficacy and safety of tapentadol prolonged release for chronic osteoarthritis pain and low back pain. Adv Ther 2010; 27(6), pp.381–399. Available from: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12325-010-0036-3.
- IPSOS Chronic Pain Survey. Carried out on behalf of the BBC. 9-14 March 2022. Available from: https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2022-05/chronic-pain-survey-tables-ipsos-research-for-bbc-may-2022.pdf Accessed: June 2022